Monday, September 30, 2013

An apple a day

I like seasons, and I can definitely say that fall is one of my top 5. There is something about the crisp smell of drying leaves and warmer glow of the sun that is synonymous to new beginnings and fresh starts. Fruits are ripening, the colors are changing, and I’m starting my 6 month long cold. There are many things I adore about fall, but if I had to highlight one, it would be all the comfort eating this season seems to welcome. Creating that perfect, snuggable sweater body is challenging, but eating is one of my main hobbies so I know I’ll enjoy all that hard work.

Baking is also I hobby I enjoy, so I thought I would share the best apple pie recipe I know. For those of you generally interested in dough making, I’m revealing my revolutionary method of cutting cold butter into the flour, so prepare to be blown away.

This pie is best enjoyed on a stormy evening with a scoop of ice cream to the pleasure.

To the pleasure!

Apple Pie

Crust:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed 
6-8 tbsp. ice water

Mix flour, sugar, and salt.
Freeze the butter and grate it. Crumble with the flour mixture using your fingertips.
Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough stays together when pressed.
Divide in two portions, one bigger than the other. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 1 hr.

Filling:
5 Braeburn apples
4 Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash ground nutmeg
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg
2 tbsp. sugar

Peel and dice the apples.
Mix in a large bowl with sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Pie:
Roll out the biggest dough on a lightly floured surface and transfer to 9 in pie plate, brush edge with egg.
Fill with apple filling.
Dot with butter.
Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie.
Cover pie with crust; trim, seal, and flute edges.
Cut slits in crust and decorate with hearts or leaves made from the dough scraps.
Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 425 F/ 220 C for 20 min, reduce heat to 375 F/ 190 C and bake for 50-60 min.
Cool on wire rack for 1 hr before serving.



The pictures were taken for my sister's blog and you should check it out if you like DIY.



2 comments :